Plastic Optical Fiber RAYTELA™ Handling Precautions
Applicable Products: When handling Toray Optical Fiber RAYTELA™ Plastic Optical Fiber wire, cord, cable, and finished products using these (abbreviated to "Toray Fiber RAYTELA™" below), please adhere to the following precautions.
For safe use of Toray Fiber RAYTELA™
1. Safety Precautions
- (1) Toray RAYTELA™ Optical Fiber shall under no circumstance be used in applications where it will be in direct contact with food or inside the human body (including medical applications). If you wish to use RAYTELA™ in a medical application, please contact our representative in advance.
2. Design Precautions
- (1) When designing a system that will use Toray Fiber RAYTELA™, please be aware of all characteristic values of Toray Fiber RAYTELA™ in the technical documentation when making the design.
- (2) Furthermore, the characteristic values noted in the technical documentation are not a guarantee of the safety or compatibility of this product. The customer should confirm such safety and compatibility of this product with their intended application.
3. Usage Precautions
- (1) Please use Toray Fiber RAYTELA™ within the temperature range indicated for each grade. In particular, there is a danger of gas generation due to partial degradation and fire if used at temperatures over 200°C.
- (2) When using halogen lamps or concentrated sunlight as a light source, take care that the maximum usage temperature is not exceeded, by using light cut filters or cooling equipment.
- (3) Avoid use in locations with high levels of dust or dirt. If dust or dirt adheres to the end of Toray Fiber RAYTELA™, the optical characteristics will be decreased. Also, at high temperatures there is a danger that the dust may catch fire, causing the Toray Fiber RAYTELA™ to melt/burn.
To best make use of the characteristics of Toray Fiber RAYTELA™
1. Precautions for Mechanical Environments
- (1) Do not apply force above the maximum tolerance.
- (2) Do not use with an unreasonably tight bending radius. In particular, if there is excess stress near the connector attachment point, the optical characteristics may be decreased. Please keep the bend radius above approx. 20 times the outer diameter being used.
- (3) Do not twist Toray Fiber RAYTELA™ excessively. If used while twisted, the optical characteristics may be decreased.
- (4) Please also avoid continuous forced bending and extreme drops.
2. Precautions for Chemical Environments
- (1) Do not allow Toray Fiber RAYTELA™ to come into contact with plasticized polyvinyl chloride materials (electrical wire, vinyl tape, etc.) containing a plasticizer (phthalate-type plasticizers, etc.). The plasticizer will transfer and may decrease the optical characteristics. Please check in advance for reactions.
- (2) Also, thoroughly check the chemical resistance of Toray Fiber RAYTELA™ to cleaning solutions, adhesives, oils, solvents, etc., in the technical documentation.
3. Precautions for Other Environments
- (1) Performance is decreased when used in high temperatures, so make sure to use a cable structure with suitable countermeasures. Take care that excessive water does not get into the Toray Fiber RAYTELA™.
- (2) Also, avoid usage in environments exposed to special energy rays such as UV rays or radioactive rays.